Welcome!

Welcome to my blog! When I started this blog it was all about wire crochet jewelry. I fell in love with the first piece I saw and I had to learn how. I was "hooked"!



Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Blogging with Artbeads ~ What's Old is New Again!

"Who will hold the key?"

Artbeads' blogging challenge this time was "What's Old is New Again".  For this theme we were asked to "seek inspiration from the past by incorporating old, vintage or antique items into your designs and combine them with modern elements."  I love this theme and you would think with all the junk good stuff I've got around here I would have thought of something right away.  I thought and thought and couldn't come up with anything that I wanted to use.  On a flea market trip with a friend, I found these chandelier prisms.  The design fell into place when Artbeads featured the little heart and key charms on their blog.
I ♥ them!

I was able to make a matching necklace, bracelet and earrings from the supplies I received.  I used Vintaj bronze wire and antique brass findings.


The necklace is long, about 28".  The shorter strand is crocheted with a small hook and the 5mm crystals, then pulled tight to resemble an old chain.  I added the smaller prism from the chandelier crystals and dangled the charms from it.  The longer strand is spool knitted with the 6mm crystals so it would be a little heavier for the large prism which is connected with an "intricate scroll" bail.  The "round glass box clasp" has a sparkly glass center and is a perfectly "antique" finish! 


For the bracelet, I used the 5mm and 6mm crystals and added a crocheted loop closure.  It fastens around another of the small prisms.


For the earrings, I used "curly triangle" chandeliers and added simple crystal drops.

These next two pictures show a little more of the details including the clasp, the bail, and the words on the charm.




You can find all of these components at Artbeads in the following sections:

Swarovski crystal beads:  5mm & 6mm Swarovski crystals
 Charms:  Heart Quote Charm and Key
Findings:  box clasp, bail, chandelier earring findings, earwires, jump rings

I give a big "thumbs up" to all of the things I received! 
Thank you, Artbeads!

Disclosure: I am a Blogging for Beaders partner with Artbeads. The above noted items were provided to me free of charge, to be used for design purposes, or for my honest review of them. I have not been paid for my endorsement as it pertains to the products received.

2 comments:

Just A Tish said...

Omg - I can't stop looking at that necklace - I LOVE IT! it is like steam punk meets victorian. what a great design!

Azure Accessories said...

Wow...what a striking set...wouldn't it be amazing with a white shirt or turtle neck???

Cheers